Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sexy the New Scary?

Just when did adults hijack Halloween? Halloween used to mean Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin special and lots of candy for the "little kids".

More than one newspaper has run stories about the growing Halloween market. Estimates are that this year nearly 5 million dollars will be spent on candy, decorations and costumes. The number of parties held rivals the numbers for New Years Eve and the Super Bowl. But when did Halloween become super sexed?

From the link above:

Of course, risqué outfits have always been a part of the holiday for some women. But there are two differences now. The tart look has gone mainstream -- and the girls who are wearing it are much younger.

"We're seeing 12-year-olds buying them," says Sumanasa Jyoti, who manages a Halloween Headquarters store in Santa Cruz that is open year-round. "I'm amazed that they buy them, but they do. A lady came in the other day and bought a sexy ladybug costume for her 7- and 8-year-olds."

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE sexy clothes and think it's great that fetish clothes are more and more main stream, BUT when costume companies are making French Maid costumes for toddlers, even I start to think sexy is being pushed out to the public a little too hard.

Call me a prude if you like but I prefer my sex and sexy activities to be between consenting adults.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/07/2006 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you, it is a great shame that certain parents seem to think it is alright to allow young children to dress as little adults. The sadness part of the piece was the shop manager saying she was amazed that the sell. Well no one put a gun to her head to make her stock them.

11/07/2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger Mistress Wylona said...

Rob,

I deleted the first comment only because it was a duplicate to your second post.
I agree with you. While the store may have been "shocked" that these items sold, they wouldn't have purchased and displayed them unless they thought they would make money from the sale of said merchandise. I don't blame the store at all. They won't stock that sort of item in the future if people send them a clear message via the all mighty dollar and NOT BUYING. No merchant wants to get stuck with inventory. As consumers we vote with our dollars.
Again, there is a time and place for everything -- even sex.

11/07/2006 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again to you Mistress Wylona.
Reading you reply I have to say I agree with what you wrote, but as adults I think that everyone should do what they can to stop children being seen as sex objects. I understand if no one bought the items for their children then the shops would not shock them. Still sometimes it would be nice to see businesses doing the right thing, not the money thing. My chief comment was aimed more at the seemingly hypocritical manageress blaming the parents for buying goods that she had displayed. On a lighter note you might vote with your dollars,but I do so with my British pounds

11/12/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home